The purpose of the Falmouth Wind Turbine Option Analysis Process (WTOP) is to engage in an open, transparent, and collaborative exploration of the range of options for the long-term future of the Town’s two Wind Turbines – Wind I and Wind II.
The tasks of the WTOP are to:
- Clarify the range of potentially acceptable long-term options
- Identify the questions that would need to be answered about each of those options in order to evaluate their feasibility, costs, and benefits
- Determine legitimate methods for gaining answers to those questions
- Jointly review and interpret the data that comes back, and
- Evaluate the options based on the new information.
Two additional goals of the WTOP are to:
- Improve relationships and effective communication among the Town officials, affected families, and other members of the town
- Provide an arena for public information and input and transparent deliberation and evaluation
The core interests at stake include:
- Health, safety and well-being of impacted abutters
- Property rights and economic impacts on property for abutters
- Implementation of Falmouth’s climate action protection plan goals to reduce use of fossil fuel
- Fiscal impacts on the town’s taxpayers and town services
- An amicable end to a conflict that has divided and challenged the town’s relationships and reputation
Any broadly acceptable long-term plan for the turbines will need to respond to some extent to all of these core interests.
The participants represent the following interests:
- 5 residents primarily concerned with adverse impacts of the turbines on neighbors, including health and economic impacts
- 2 residents primarily concerned with implementing Falmouth’s climate action protection plan to reduce use of fossil fuel
- 2 taxpayers primarily concerned with the Town of Falmouth's fiscal well-being
- 2 residents with strong empathy for all perspectives. These representatives are primarily concerned with a fair and effective process that may lead to an amicable outcome and reunite the town
- 3 Town Departments
- 2 liaisons from the Board of Selectmen attend all meetings and are available to answer questions, but do not participate at the table
Click on a date below to view and download the related meeting materials.